Risk Evaluation and Mitigation
A site-wide safety review is developed to assess the residual risks coming from all the top-events related to all the plants existent together with the site level top-events highlighted in Top-events identification.
The goal of this activity is to weight the site global risk level to record it as acceptable introducing, if needed, some improvements.
To reach this goal it is too simplistic to just plot together the different consequences: you will end up with a big envelope that will cover a huge part of your site and that tells you quite nothing about residual risk. The right way to deal with this goal is to apply risk integration algorithms, the only approach that save the principal aspects of every top-event:
- expected effects on people and equipments (different thresholds of “damage”),
- corollary hypothesis (weather conditions, etc.)
- variable exposure density (day or night shifts, turnaround, etc.)
- variable resiliency (inside and outside the site based on hourly/day/year period)
Eidos has a huge experience on risk integration on industrial sites, seaport sites, wide area sites (Milan province, Lombardy region, Italian pipelines network, etc.: from some km to thousands).
This approach permits also to evaluate risks on broader scale in comparison with all the risks related to the area under study. This approach is suitable to compare frequencies and/or consequences and/or exposure levels (human, environmental, etc.).
Of course Eidos can also implement the “usual methods” to evaluate residual risks like:
- Standard and/or laws
- Specific goal suggested/given by customer
- Risk matrix (3×3, 4×4 or 5×5)
Eidos is very proud of its engineering approach and background that let us speak the same language of the companies appointed to design or manage the plant or the site. Eidos is able to assist companies in picking the best mitigation solution among:
- Process improvements
- Design improvements
- Organisational reviews
- Prevention and protection improvements
All the mitigations/improvements will be weighted quantitatively based on the chosen criteria above, reviewing frequencies, consequences, integration and exposure levels (you know we are engineers and love to evaluate through numbers!).
All the risk evaluations and mitigations will be displayed using CAD or GIS or Goggle Earth programs (see also Consequences analysis).
Risk evaluation and Mitigation can be addressed at different levels, so please also refer to:
- Plant, please refer to Plant Safety
- Refinery, please refer to Refinery Safety
- Design of a new plant/site, please refer to Engineering Assistance